COMC 101 – Oral Communication (3)
This competency focuses on oral communication skills needed to present information in a workplace setting. Employers seek out individuals who can deliver information and persuade others in committee meetings, client interactions, and many other face-to-face and virtual settings. The competency prepares students to deliver effective oral presentations that consider the audience, clearly disseminate central ideas, and demonstrate applicable verbal and nonverbal communication.
Upon successful mastery of this competency, you will be able to:
- Understand the foundational elements of oral communication.
- Apply audience analysis to the formulation and execution of an oral presentation.
- Identify and support central ideas that are demonstrated in a topic proposal, a working outline, a speaking outline, an oral presentation, and a reference list.
- Create an effective oral presentation that includes an introduction, body, and a conclusion that are evident in a full sentence outline, a speaking outline, and an oral presentation.
- Demonstrate the ability to speak confidently and use verbal and nonverbal communication effectively in an oral presentation.
- Apply the effective delivery strategies, including the use of notes and presentation aids, to the performance of an oral presentation.